Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Packet for Dec. 9th: Cupcakes Make Things Better

So, my goal of posting daily in December might have been a bit lofty. Oh, well! At least I'm getting some things recorded ...even if not every day.

A while back I made these cake plates! I loved how they turned out.


Then last Saturday we hosted a Bridal Shower for Alyx's friend, Mari. Her soon-to-be-sister-in-law made and brought the most darling cupcakes EVER! We displayed them at the shower on the cake plates.





Cake Plate = Cute

Cupcake on a cute cake plate = DARLING!

Too bad they weren't gluten free. (But the frosting was AWESOME.)

Instructions for making the Cake Plates:

1. Visit your local Thrift Shop. In my case...the D.I.

2. Search the plate aisle for the cutest plates you can find.

3. Turn around and scan the other side of the aisle for various bases. For example: candlesticks, tiny glass bowls, vases, and those glass light covers that come on ceiling fans.

4. Take up the whole aisle as you test to see which plates look best on top of which bases. (A DI worker was gracious enough to start handing me bases to try....guess I was the 3rd person that week doing that exact same weird ritual!)

5. On the way home, stop and purchase two part epoxy glue. It comes in a two part container with a plunger.

6. At home, clean the plates and bases and dry them well. Place the plates bottom up on your work surface.

7. Mix and apply the epoxy to the top of the base piece.

8. Epoxy the base to the bottom of the plate. (I eyeballed it for center. Someone more ambitious might want to measure the exact center of the plate for a nicely balanced cake plate. I just stood over the plate and guessed. I only got one that is slightly wobbly...not too bad for winging it!)

9. Leave the plates to dry overnight.

10. Add cupcakes for a delicious (and cute!) finish.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...