Thursday, December 3, 2009

Packet for Dec. 3rd: Quick Change on a Budget

So a while back I decided to take all my Americana decor off the walls and sell it. Just done with it, you know? Well, that was WAY back in the summer and our house still sat half decorated and skimpy looking. Actually it seemed rather tattered. And to quote Alyx, "ugly". We'd been talking about painting and changing things up, but every time I started to think of all the things I'd have to buy I would talk myself back out of the idea. This past Thanksgiving weekend Alyx had had ENOUGH. SHE bought the paint I picked out (plus some curtains, cute rugs and dishtowels - sweet!). SHE & KAYTEE primed the walls while I was at Olivia's indoor soccer game. SHE painted the walls the next day when I was at Noah's indoor soccer game. And later that night and early, early into the morning SHE & I put the house back together. Alyx altered the cheap curtains she bought and made them what we really wanted. We brought up random things from the basement that I had collected. We opened a box or two of wonderful family heirlooms that I had stored. And with nothing but paint and "shopping in our own house" we have a new and BEAUTIFUL family room and kitchen! And the best part? Everywhere I look I see bits of family memories. The cookie jar my Grandma Kay painted as a youngster. The scales from my great-grandparents stores. The wheat sifters, sheep bell, lantern, & water pump from Grandma & Grandpa Calderwood's farm. The Calderwood Family Quilt that was on Great-Grandma Calderwood's bed (the one we all decorated with drawn pics of ourselves). The quilt squares from my other Great-Grandma's bed. Hand painted china from my Great-Grandma Winefred. My Grandma Kay's cedar chest. The list goes on. It is AWESOME. I love it soooo much. Thanks, Alyx for being tough and pushing forward. I love you!
Wanna see?




2 comments:

Terry said...

I so wish I could see it all up close and in person! I was just in South Jordan the weekend of the 21st but didn't have a car and was booked to the hilt. Next time I come up I hope we can get together and maybe I'll get my wish!

KT said...

Turned out great! Alyx is so amazing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...