Monday, December 14, 2009

Packet for Dec. 14th: Good Omen

This day in October started rough.

The night before, Alyx's car died. She was headed to a date and so she left it in the parking lot of the gas station, intending to retrieve it later.

The next morning, Alyx was SICK. Stay in bed, can't get up sick. She was finally feeling better in the mid-afternoon so we hurried to pick up her car.

Guess what? It WASN'T THERE anymore. The gas station had it towed.

We contacted the tow company about getting it out of impound. It was going to cost $150. Alyx was UPSET. Now she has to pay $150 for a DEAD car.

We decided we needed CHOCOLATE while we waited for the Tow Guy to meet us at the gas station. On the first handful, Alyx got ALL YELLOWS!

Now, we took that as a sign. YELLOW is happy and cheery and a completely NON-WORRIED color! We thought, this is a GOOD OMEN. Things are going to look up. Things are going to get brighter. It will be OK. We snapped this quick picture so we would remember.



So, the rest of the story is long and funny! Here are the high points:

Tow guy thought I was the daughter of the mother daughter team. Awesome compliment.

Car started on the first turn of the key...we were worried we were going to have to PUSH it out of impound. Nope, it STARTED.

Tow guy tells us of a place where we could park it overnight WITHOUT it being towed again so we can get help with the stalling problem.

Tow guy says, "I'm not going to charge you." HAPPY DAY!!

As I'm following Alyx to the parking lot, Tow Guy calls and asks me out to dinner! HA!

When I tell Alyx, she yells excitedly, "I KNEW IT!! I knew the only way we got out of that money is because I have a CUTE MOM!" Another awesome compliment.


Those M&M's ended up representing a different type of good omen for me. All of this happened on my would-have-been-anniversary with Jim. I was in a melencholy mood. I was discouraged. Then, randomly over the course of the discussions on picking up the car this guy finds out I'm a single mom of FIVE kids, I had my 1st when I was too young, I don't have any money, and a whole slew of other random info. And he still asked me out! I of course said I was unable to join him for dinner as my divorce in not final. But it was nice to be asked. It was a little reminder from heaven that everything will be ok. I don't have to be alone forever. There WILL be opportunities to meet people. And someday, if I want to, I can find a happy marriage again.

The rough day ended on a HIGH NOTE. And the best thing...those M&M's were Peanut Butter! YUM! :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...